Electrical Emergency Advice & Tips

April 16, 2020
Image of a person holding a UK 3-pin plug above an extension cable.

As we’re only operating for emergencies during this time, we thought we’d give you some helpful information on what you should do in your household if you have an electrical emergency.

Electrical Advice

The best way to prevent potential electrical emergencies happening is to practice electrical safety with every appliance, device, machine and outlet that you have in your home daily. Electrical items can become a dangerous hazard very quickly if they are not used responsibly, take a look at our previous blog for more information on how to apply electrical safety in your home.

Another tip to help you be prepared for a potential emergency is to have the contact numbers of services on hand and easily accessible. Having them written down on some paper where you can easily see them on a pinboard, for example, will save you time trying to find the numbers you need and having the emergency dealt with quicker. You could also add the numbers into your speed dial on your mobile phone.

If an electrical emergency does occur, it’s important that you try to stay as calm as you can. Take immediate action and call the emergency services as soon as possible. If someone has been hurt by an electrical appliance and has received an electrical shock or burn, then call an ambulance so they can get the treatment they need.

Electric Shock

Electric shocks can happen very easily if someone is not correctly using an appliance, young children are susceptible to getting an electric shock from poking their fingers into a plug outlet which has not been blocked by a protective guard. Depending on the amount of voltage, someone who has had an electric shock may have burns on the skin, and others may not have any visible marks. Any electrical shock needs to be treated as a serious incident as they can cause internal damage and even small amounts of voltage can be fatal.

If someone in your household has been a victim of an electrical shock then call 999 and arrange for an ambulance to aid them as soon as they can. In the meantime, do not touch someone who is being shocked or the current may also pass through to you. When the person is away from the source, turn off the power from the appliance and also from the main power switchboard to avoid any other potential shocks. Keep the shocked person still and lying down until help arrives.

If you suffer from an electrical shock and you feel the effects are severe, get away from the source of the shock and once you are don’t move again. If you are able to, call the emergency services. If you can’t get to a phone then yell for help.

Electrical Fires

Electrical fires can be caused by a number of things, flammables stored to close to a lightbulb, exposed wiring, overloaded or faulty outlets, or leaving a portable heater on for a prolonged period of time. If you do find yourself facing an electrical fire then call the fire service immediately. If you have a fire extinguisher specifically made to put out electrical fires then use that, otherwise do not attempt to put the fire out yourself as you could potentially make it worse, especially if you use water. If you cannot put the fire out yourself leave the building or area you are in straight away to protect yourself and those around you.

Power Shutdown

Nowadays we rely very heavily on electricity to power almost everything in our homes. Power shutdowns can occur after a big storm or when a power line is down. Life without electricity in our homes can become very stressful so it’s vital that you take the correct precautions when dealing with this issue.

If you find yourself with no power in your home you must first assess the issue, have a look outside to see if the street lamps are working or ask a neighbour if they are having electrical issues in their home. If the lights are on and your neighbours aren’t experiencing any problems then it may be a case that the issue is coming from inside your home and not due to a power cut. Check your fuse box and credit to make sure that they are topped up and working. If there are no issues that you can find then call a qualified electrician to help you with your issue.

In a power cut its important that you keep yourself and your family warm, find torches to have light, turn off all sockets and appliances, and avoid opening your fridge or freezer to retain the cold inside and to stop the heat from entering so your foods stay fresher for longer.

Please Note:

Currently, we are temporarily closed and will remain so until it is safe for us to fully reopen again. Our services remain in place for electrical emergencies for domestic, industrial and commercial customers. If you have a genuine electrical emergency, please call us on 01752 338495 or 07802 827636. Stay safe, Team JAH.

About JAH Electrical Services Ltd, Plymouth, Devon

From our offices in Plymouth, Devon, our trained Engineers carry out high quality Electrical Contracting work across the private and public sectors, including Healthcare, Education, and Housing. We also carry out domestic work locally. Below you will see our Accreditations, including NIC EIC Approved Contractor and Constructionline. 
You can call us on 01752 338495 or you will find all of our contact info on our Contact page. Thanks for reading, Jamie Hitchcock, MD, JAH Electrical Services Ltd.